Developer (Ruby on Rails)
Remote | 35-45k depending on experience
About Hiring Hub
We help employers and recruiters work better together, partnering with companies that want to make recruiting their competitive advantage while championing UK’s best boutique recruitment agencies. We have two products: a marketplace connecting employers to recruiters, and a platform to help organisations consolidate and manage all their third-party recruitment activity and spend. A friendly team of c.25 people, we have ambitions for growth over the next 2 years, and our Tech team is key to us realising that.
About Hiring Hub Tech
We are a small internal product team. Our Product Manager and BA work very closely with customers and the wider business determining new problems or opportunities for us to solve. There’s a high focus on user needs and feedback at every level, as it’s important for us to develop the products and grow as a team. We are very open and collaborative in the way we work and sometimes swarm picking up tasks outside our core skills to get regular product increments out. We’ve moved to focusing on outcomes for our planning cycles and link these to the company goals through OKRs.
Developers are involved from the outset as we workshop ideas and discuss different solutions. Although the Tech stack is predominantly RoR we are constantly moving it forward and looking at the right tech to solve the problems. Everyone has the opportunity to bring ideas to the table and there’s RnD time every 2 weeks to progress anything that’s not planned in the current cycle.
Although we are currently fully remote it would be good to meet in our central Manchester office a couple of times a week/month depending on your main location. However, don’t let location put you off speaking to us about the role if you are interested. Although we feel this is a full time role we can be very flexible on how those hours are worked in a week, especially during periods of homeschooling, to cover drop off/pick-up times or other responsibilities you might need to work around.
How can you help?
To complement the existing team we are looking for someone who has good ROR experience but is happy to work through the whole stack. You don’t need to have working experience of everything listed at all but be willing to get involved and learn the less familiar areas. The role is mainly hands on development but we do ensure there is time for innovation and personal growth. As a small team we control how we work and developers often pair on problems, inputting into what we do as well as how we do it. We are continually evolving and everyone’s feedback is important.
What you might bring?
- You’re a web development practitioner with commercial experience of modern web frameworks. RoR knowledge is essential for this role.
- Good working knowledge of APIs and consuming external data sources (Graphiti, GraphQL, or RESTful APIs)
- Good working knowledge of databases including MySQL with demonstrable ability to write complex queries and to make optimisations
- Ability to identify, debug and resolve production issues
- Good knowledge of frontend tooling and frameworks (React, Redux, HTML5, CSS, Bootstrap)
- Good testing background
- Code review experience
- Pitch in on architectural discussions and future Tech ideas
- Great engineering practices including CI/CD, TDD and secure coding
- An ability to demonstrate and apply SOLID principles
- Good working knowledge of using Git and managing workflows with Gitflow or similar
- Experience of working in an Agile team
- Readiness to work across the full stack and learn what you don’t know
- Able and willing to pick up ad-hoc tasks that are not necessarily within your core skill set as we are a small team
Nice to have or want to learn:
- Application security knowledge
- Experience working with Docker or containers
- Experience with DevOps tooling
- Stripe Payments
What you’ll get
A rare opportunity to come with us on a journey, play a key role in defining the product and your future role at Hiring Hub as we grow. At the end, we hope we can all look back on what we create and say: “we did that.”
In addition, there’s also:
- Competitive salary
- Work in an open and collaborative environment with a flat hierarchy
- Flexible working
- Remote working
- Great central Manchester office
- Plenty of holiday
- Pension scheme
- Employee Perks via Perkbox
We look for people who align with our values
We have a hardworking and professional culture but believe that you should have fun doing it.
- We’re humble. Honesty, integrity, authenticity – this matters to us
- We serve. We put our colleagues and customers first
- We search. We’re never satisfied and constantly strive to do things better
And finally, we are a diverse organisation that celebrates individualism. We have people of varied ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, religion and political outlook. What unites us is our belief that we can help employers find great talent by utilising recruiters more effectively, and make people feel better about recruitment and the industry.